Sunday, October 9, 2011

Reading Stamina SHOES OFF CHALLENGE

I caught two friends that still struggled with reading out loud (which is fine, but it distracts their neighbors, so I had to help them solve this problem).  I let them use the phonics phones to see just how loud they were reading out loud.  Once they began to read (like they normally do) they could instantly tell how loud it actually was because it was almost like they were yelling into their ear.  They began to whisper as they read out loud and their neighbors realized it was a lot easier to tolerate :)

 This week I let the reading stamina challenge be an individual challenge.  Normally, I walk around while they are reading and set the timer.  If someone becomes distracted (looks at me, someone else, around the room, gets up, lays their head down, etc.) then they have BROKEN reading stamina.  The goal is to build the children's reading stamina so they can eventually sit and read for 20 minutes for pleasure without losing focus (which could hinder comprehension).  This week I told each of them if they didn't break their own reading stamina then they get a shoes off pass.  (One day of walking around in just socks).  I had all but a few receive a pass.  So, the next day a lot of the kids wanted to use their passes.  While reading, I caught some of them with their shoes off...So cute!




4 comments:

  1. How unusual. When I was in first grade the thought of having my shoes removed at school would have terrified me. I'm surprised kids were eager to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All Boys Have To Wear School Slip on Slippers Shoes On Ther Feet All Schoo Day And All School Year?

    ReplyDelete